Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Hood: Flora



I am not one who likes "privacy plantings" as they are called. They are not pedestrian friendly. Or community friendly. They are the opposite of the front porch that makes neighborhoods neighborhoody. I mean a few discreet plantings are all well and good. I have placed a potted senna, a lovely bush\vine, in front of my living room window, but it is literally in front of my ground floor living room window. Every time the neighbors walked by on their way to the trash my dogs went crazy. This bush just affords a little more privacy and makes people not walk directly in front of my window. It doesn't wall off my entire house from the community.

Well this picture is of privacy plantings run amok. Yes - there's a house back there!!! Vines cover the entire house and all the fences. There was a sign up for a while, instructing the mailman to just "throw the mail over the hedge."

I love that - just throw the mail over the hedge. It's so devil may care. Throw caution and your Visa bill to the wind! Don't even bother to find the mailbox, we'll find the mail among the weeds. I wonder if there are mail rules governing how things need to be delivered. Like "A Post Officer Must Never Heave Mail." It sort of gives a new meaning to over the hedge.

No comments: