Monday, July 31, 2006

Reviews


Don't read a review or talk to anyone, just go see Little Miss Sunshine. Damn I wish I'd written it.

I finished Allison Bechdel's Fun Home yesterday. It is a beautiful graphic memoir about growing up, reading with your father, and finally putting the family secrets all in perspective. Speaking of perspective, the drawings make use of prespective brilliantly, with the point of view shifting to help portray the story. At one moment you can be on the ground, the next looking up at children hanging off the stairs, looking down at your father catching you in the pool. It's really wonderful.

We also saw Devil Wears Prada, a perfect movie to spend some time enjoying yourself in air conditioning. It made me incredibly nostalgic for New York and the publishing world. My old haunts, my old scramble to clean the desk, my old not getting into the same elevator. The clothes were pretty awful and the story was pretty lame - she's BAD because she has to work late! But Meryl was magnificent and the girl who plays the first assistant was hillarious.

No comments: