Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Signs: Bee Building



Here's a bee building. You can buy bee keeping supplies here. It is next to underneath the freeway so I hadn't noticed it before. In Manhattan I never saw a bee keeping supply store, but that didn't mean that there weren't insects. I saw fireflies in the garden in Brooklyn occasionally. But the nature thing that freaked me out was the park I lived next to. It had no squirrels. No squirrels. I didn't notice that it had no squirrels till I got a scent hound that focused on squirrels. And then I realized that the local park was a mono-culture of trees. They only had this one type of tree planted and it apparently didn't have anything a squirrel would want to eat, so they didn't hang out in columbus park with the manly, virile statue of good ole Chris Columbus. That statue man, it rankled me. It portrayed Chris as this well built handsome guy and you just know that with all that sailing he did that he was short and had scurvy and was malnourished. Plus people associate beauty with goodness, and we know that Chris wanted to enslave native people. So I don't get it. Why have a statue of him, why name parks after him? It's not like he discovered America for christ's sake. The people who lived here did. And if you want to be Eurocentric about it all, the Vikings were here first, specifically the Greenland Norse who were coming over here to get wood because trees don't grow in Greenland. They wrote SAGAS about it. Yes the Norse were drunk, but so was Columbus and have you ever read about how much ale and wine was on the Mayflower???

No comments: