Thursday, May 24, 2007

Swinging on the old world



Weeeeee! It's fun to swing upside down, as A., a fellow swinger-upside downer shows here.

I lost my tasting notes but the last wine class was about THE OLD WORLD. And wine\food pairing. Hmmm.

So here is what I now know, France, there was a reason people thought Wine = France. Because they make good wine. Here's another thing I know, often after a broad overview class if you want to learn more you are told to pick one small thing and learn more in depth about that. A large overview class of art history - want to learn more - check out the cubists or Spanish artists. A large overview of wine - select a varietal or country to learn more. You know, pick a vertical. Well here's a vertical I'm never going to find more about German and Austrian wine. Dear lord. I was all willing to give up my prejudices against Riesling and such, but our instructor had a sweet tooth on him and so we were served sweet, sweet Rieslings and other items that we were told were artisanal and filled with terroir, but I couldn't help feeling I was drinking soda pop - soda pop with a nice acidity but soda pop nonetheless. And I thought "Give me a nice fruit forward oaked cabernet please!"

Even though I did learn that oak was not food friendly, and now I notice that it isn't if I drink oaked wine with dinner. However a nice bit of oak in a wine that you're sitting out on the patio watching the sunset NOT eating is not a bad thing. And a little oak in a tannic red is not a bad thing as well.

However a nice sparkling burgundy is cheaper than champagne but just a nummy, and that's a good thing to learn.

Well wine is over and I'm just back to two classes. Photography and circus acrobatics.

Weee - it's fun to swing upside down!

No comments: