Saturday, March 28, 2009

Even More Fun!


So I have discovered the recession proof industry - exterminators!

Meanwhile, I have spent 2.35 cents on beer and lured one, count em, one snail to its death.

So last week I noticed two little black dots on the living room wall and the little black dots were bumpy - extruding out from the walls, I pushed on the bumps and they crumbled to the ground and there were two little round black holes in the wall. Yes, traveling, swarming, subterranean termites have taken residence in my wall. Well, they are not living in the wall, they are living underneath my house in some sort of hive and they crawl up the wall to eat the bearing part of my load bearing wall. They swarm! Yuck!

So the Western Exterminator people can't visit me for ten days, they are too busy! Hence the thought - I need to become an exterminator! Termites don't downsize with the economy!

Anyway with work slowing down and no end in sight to work slowing down, I am not panicking (like a boyscout I am always prepared! To panic that is!) about the fact that I need to spend 2500 to stop the evil fuckers from eating my home. The Orkin man managed to be able to fit me in and so he told me that I have DRYWOOD termite as well and that I would have to tent my house. That's another 2500 bucks!

Now, I'm a city girl. I like cities. I've tried to live in medium sized cities and it was like purgatory - I like my cities big, full of museums and traveling bands and weird performance artists. I like my cities full of people and interesting things to do. I live in the middle of Los Angeles. I expect Gang graffiti. Instead I am also beset with: snails, fecund feral cats, raccoons, crows, wasps, two kinds of termites. This is why I don't live in nature - imagine what kinds of things live there???

So to calm myself down about my bugs and my finances I went to the kitchen and started washing dishes. I stared at the avocado tree which seems to be flowering and noticed a whole bunch of bee activity there. So my gaze wandered over to the lemon tree - which is also flowering, lovely scented flowers whose aroma wafts into my bedroom - and it was also filled with bees. Lots of bees. Way too many bees. Bees that seemed to be flying from my lemon tree to the avocado tree to the neighbor's vents in their wall. Yes, we now have a bee hive to contend with! Undoubtedly when they smoke the bees out of their house they'll just move one house down - after all there's lots of company at my place.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I hope it is striped like a Circus tent! $orry about the termites...yikes.