Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Reviews: Wolfgang Tillmans



We went to the Hammer Museum to see the Wolfgang Tillmans exhibit. The photographs are curiously closed down and matter of fact. Like they're pretending to be neutral and devoid of content. But they are queer, odd and emotionally resonant at the same time, they're tilted. One of a man and a deer on a beach, you can't quite reconcile beach, man, deer. Why is the deer that size, who has ever heard of a deer on a beach, why is the man near the deer? It's all very odd.

We saw it a while ago and I haven't mentioned it in my political catatonia and switching jobs and all. But I recommend seeing the exhibit. Go to Westwood and park in the building, they'll validate!

2 comments:

J S Grant said...

I just realized that I've used a photo from the Getty to illustrate a review of the Hammer. To feuding LA gazillionairs with vanity museums.

Anonymous said...

But we love the Hammer and Anne Philbin is a genius.